Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nurse Leader
- The White/Black hierarchy institutionalizes White supremacy in nursing and nursing leadership in the United States.J Prof Nurs. 2021; 37: 411-421
- Leadership and management principles.in: Huber D. Joseph M.L. Leadership and Nursing Care Management. 7th ed. Elsevier, St. Louis, MO2022: 1-30
HR.Research Institute. The Future of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion 2022: Incorporate new DEI initiatives to foster strong employee relationships and increase organizational success. October 2022 Available at: https://www.hr.com/en/resources/free_research_white_papers/the-future-of-diversity-equity-and-inclusion-resea_l0wk79fe.html?s=sap80evyXYrHCMw2j9l. Accessed November 10, 2022.
NCSBN. Active RN licenses: A profile of nursing licensure in the U.S. Updated November 28, 2022 Available at: https://www.ncsbn.org/6161.htm. Accessed November 1, 2022.
- The 2020 national nursing workforce survey.J Nurs Regul. 2021; 12: S1-S96
Zippia. Chief nursing officer demographics and statistics in the US. April 18, 2022 Available at: https://www.zippia.com/chief-nursing-officer-jobs/demographics/. Accessed October 3, 2022.
- Demographic Turning Points for the United States: Population Projections for 2020 to 2060, Current Population Reports, P25-1144. US Census Bureau, Washington, DC2020
- Code of Ethics for Nurses With Interpretive Statement. Silver Spring.American Nurses Association, MD2015
- Introduction.in: Northouse P. Leadership: Theory and Practice. 9th ed. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA2022: 1-10
- Inclusive leadership.in: Northouse P. Leadership: Theory and Practice. 9th ed. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA2022: 322-351
- Inclusive leadership: realizing positive outcomes through belongingness and being valued for uniqueness.HR Manage Rev. 2018; 28: 190-203
- Workplace Diversity: Benefits, Importance & Statistics (2023). Select Software Reviews. February 25, 2022.(Available at:)https://www.selectsoftwarereviews.com/blog/workplace-diversity#types-of-workplace-diversityDate accessed: October 12, 2022
- The Fearless Organization: Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace for Learning, Innovation, and Growth.John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ2018
- Inclusion, Diversity, the New Workplace, and the Will to Change.2nd ed. Publish Your Purpose Press, Hartford, CT2016
- Does leadership matter in diversity management? Assessing the relative impact of diversity policy and inclusive leadership in the public sector.Leadersh Organ Dev J. 2017; 38: 303-319
Dunkley D. The Lived Experience of Being Black and Female When Becoming a Nurse Executive. [Doctoral Dissertation]. Phoenix, AZ: University of Phoenix; 2018.
- Career advancement: the experiences of minority nurses in accessing leadership positions in a tertiary care setting.Witness. 2021; 3: 73-84
- Diversity and inclusion or tokens? A qualitative study of Black Women academic nurse leaders in the United States.Glob Qual Nurs Res. 2022; 923333936211073116
- African born Black nurses’ perception of their U.S. work environment: race matters.Nurs Outlook. 2021; 69: 409-424
- The intersectionality of race and trajectories of African women into the nursing career in the United States.Behav Sci (Basel). 2020; 10: 69-84
- Transformational leadership in nursing practice.Br J Nurs. 2012; 21: 1212-1218
- AONL nurse leader competencies: core competencies for nurse leadership.Nurse Leader. 2022; 20: 437-443
Bourke J. The six signature traits of inclusive leadership: thriving in a diverse world. Deloitte Insights. April 14, 2016 Available at: https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/insights/topics/talent/six-signature-traits-of-inclusive-leadership.html. [Accessed 22 September 2022].
- Merriam-Webster. Commitment.(Available at:)https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/commitment#synonymsDate accessed: November 15, 2022
- The praxis of courage as a foundation for care.J Nurs Scholarsh. 2014; 46: 263-270
- Merriam-Webster. Cognizance.(Available at:)https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cognizanceDate accessed: November 15, 2022
- The measurement and conceptualization of curiosity.J Genet Psychol. 2006; 167: 117-135
- Cultural intelligence: concepts and definition statements.S Afr J Bus Manag. 2017; 48: 67-74
- Conceptualizing collaboration in nursing.Nurs Forum. 2018; 53: 567-573
- Leadership styles and outcome patterns for the nursing workforce and work environment: a systematic review.Int J Nurs Stud. 2018; 85: 19-60
- Authentic.in: Northouse P. Leadership: Theory and Practice. 9th ed. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA2022: 221-252
- Leader-member exchange theory.in: Northouse P. Leadership: Theory and Practice. 9th ed. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA2022: 157-184
- Servant leadership.in: Northouse P. Leadership: Theory and Practice. 9th ed. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA2022: 253-284
- Transformational leadership.in: Northouse P. Leadership: Theory and Practice. 9th ed. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA2022: 184-220
- Safety leadership: a meta-analytic review of transformational and transactional leadership styles as antecedents of safety behaviours.J Occup Organ Psychol. 2013; 86: 22-49
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Note: This paper did not receive any funding from agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.