For the past 3 years, health care environments have been in turmoil. The aftershocks of the COVID experience are likely to be felt for years. Most health systems have experienced high turnover and cultural drift. With a growing shortage of health care staff and financial challenges, leaders now struggle to strategically plan for a less certain future. One notable loss during COVID has been a loss of trust in organizations and leaders. Recent Harvard Business Review evidence shows that the public trust in the US health care delivery system has eroded.
1The cracks and deficits in the health care infrastructure have become painfully obvious.
- Isaacs R.S.
5 Steps to Restore Trust in U.S. Health Care. Harvard Business Review.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nurse Leader
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- 5 Steps to Restore Trust in U.S. Health Care. Harvard Business Review.(September 8, 2022. Available at:)
- Buffett quote. September 23, 2020. Minimalist Quotes.(Available at:)https://minimalistquotes.com/warren-buffett-quote-9961/Date accessed: December 22, 2022
- Addressing Health Care's Talent Emergency. Deloitte Insights.(November 15, 2022. Available at:)https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/insights/industry/health-care/healthcare-workforce-shortage-solutions.htmlDate accessed: December 22, 2022
- Rebuilding trust in just culture.Nurs Manage. 2022; 53: 6-14
- The SPEED of Trust.Simon and Schuster, New York, NY2008
- The Trust Edge.Simon and Schuster, New York, NY2012
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.Simon and Schuster, New York, NY2013
Editor-in-Chief Rose O. Sherman, EdD, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN, is Adjunct Professor of Nursing at Marian K. Shaughnessy Leadership Academy, Case Western Reserve University, in Cleveland, Ohio, and is the author of The Nuts and Bolts of Nursing Leadership: Your Toolkit for Success. She can be reached at [email protected]
Published online: January 13, 2023
Accepted: December 23, 2022
Received: December 22, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
2022 by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.