Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Claiming the future of nursing through nursing-sensitive quality indicators.Nurs Adm Q. 2003; 27: 273-284
- Four challenges facing the nursing workforce in the United States.J Nurs Regul. 2017; 8: 40-46
- COVID-19-related occupational burnout and moral distress among nurses: a rapid scoping review.Nurs Leadersh. 2021; 34: 7-19
- 2019-2020 Enrollment and Graduations in Baccalaureate and Graduate Programs in Nursing. Washington, DC: American Association of Colleges of Nursing.(Available at:)https://www.aacnnursing.org/Date: 2021Date accessed: May 19, 2022
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. The Future of Nursing 2020-2030:Charting a Path to Achieve Health Equity. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2021. Available at: https://nap.nationalacademies.org/read/25982/chapter/1. Accessed May 20, 2022.
- Leadership: Theory and Practice.4th ed. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA2007
- Effective succession planning in nursing: a review of the literature.J Nurs Manag. 2012; 20: 900-911
- Only 11% of Nurses Plan to Pursue Leadership Roles as a Career Path. HealthLeaders.(Available at:)https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/nursing/only-11-nurses-plan-pursue-leadership-roles-career-pathDate: 2021Date accessed: August 9, 2022
- Shared leadership: is it time for a change?.Emerg Leadersh Journeys. 2010; 3: 22-32
- Developing staff nurse shared leadership behavior in professional nursing practice.Nurs Adm Q. 2002; 26: 44-59
- Supporting “two-getherness”: assumption for nurse managers working in a shared leadership model.Intensive Crit Care Nurs. 2010; 26: 288-295
- A better balance: sharing the nurse manager role.Nurse Leader. 2012; 10: 30-32
- A qualitative evaluation of shared leadership barriers, drivers and recommendations.J Manag Med. 2000; 14: 166-178
- Leadership styles and outcome patterns for the nursing workforce and work environment: a systematic review.Int J Nurs Stud. 2018; 85: 19-60
- Growing nurse leaders: their perspectives on nursing leadership and today's practice environment.Online J Issues Nurs. 2016; 21: 7
- Exploring nurse leader fatigue: a mixed methods study.J Nurs Manag. 2017; 25: 276-286
- Innovation in nursing leadership: a skill that can be learned.Nurs Adm Q. 2019; 43: 267-273
- A conceptual framework contributing to nursing administration and research.J Nurs Manag. 2007; 15: 188-196
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Note: The authors are indebted to Audra Nielsen, administrative assistant, for her grasp of the institution and its leadership, her skill at reading and editing, and her overall support, quickness, and kindness in the development of this paper. We also thank Barbara Pinekenstein, PhD, RN, FAAN, Richard E. Sinaiko Professor in Health Care Leadership, at the University of Wisconsin-Madison for her extremely thoughtful comments on previous drafts of the manuscript. Her knowledge, competence, and enthusiasm for the field of nursing leadership is enormous and much appreciated. The authors have reported that they have no conflicts of interest to disclose relevant to the contents of this paper.