It happens every time I travel—whether for work or pleasure. If I am attending a professional conference, to meet a new client, begin a new project, conduct a workshop or presentation, mentor at Chicago's healthcare technology incubator or even at a sporting event, I either run into someone I know, someone I met briefly on a prior occasion, or I meet someone new, but we share common connections with at least 1 (and sometimes more) colleagues. When traveling with my husband, he always mentions he cannot take me anywhere without running into someone! What also happens, especially at professional conferences or meetings, is I find myself constantly introducing new colleagues to one another for the purpose of networking, which inevitably leads to colleagues asking me how I know so many people. The answer is I work diligently at building, maintaining, and using my network.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nurse Leader
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The strength of weak ties.AJS. 1973; 78: 1360-1380
- Untangling the networking phenomenon: a dynamic psychological perspective on how and why people network.J Manage. 2015; 4: 1477-1500
- From creativity to innovation: the social network drivers of the four phases of the idea journey.Acad Manage Rev. 2017; 42: 53-79
- Knowledge, networks, and knowledge networks: a review and research agenda.J Manage. 2012; 38: 1115-1166
- The dynamics of developmental networks [e-pub ahead of print]. Acad Manage Rev Discov.Available at: https://journals.aom.org/doi/10.5465/amd.2013.0029Date accessed: November 15, 2018
© 2018 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.