Complex health care delivery systems are often organized around the management of specific patient populations or service lines across ambulatory and inpatient settings and the executive nurse leader is the most suitable clinical professional to provide visionary leadership in a dyad with a senior physician for a service line. This article describes the unique experience of a system hospital and the successes of the executive nurse leader as the co-lead in service line management.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nurse Leader
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- UPMC facts & stats.(Available at:)http://www.upmc.com/about/facts/pages/default.aspxDate: 2018Date accessed: August 3, 2018
- Service line leadership.Nurse Leader. 2008; 6: 42-43
- Examining the “dyad” as a management model in integrated health systems.Physician Exec. 2010; 36: 14-19
- Advocating for dyad leadership at your organization? Use our slides. Advisory.com.(Available at:)https://www.advisory.com/research/physician-executive-council/prescription-for-change/2015/03/dyad-leadership-slidesDate: March 26, 2015Date accessed: October 1, 2016
- Dyad Leadership in Healthcare: When One Plus One Is Greater Than Two.Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2015
- The role of the nurse-physician leadership dyad in implementing the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative.Nurs Womens Health. 2014; 18: 231-235
- Resilient organizations: matrix model and service line management.J Nurs Adm. 2005; 35: 414-419
- What is nursing.(Available at:)https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/workforce/what-is-nursing/Date: 2017Date accessed: August 3, 2018
- Advancements in undergraduate medical education: meeting the challenges of an evolving world of education, healthcare and technology.Psychiatr Q. 2016; 88: 225-234
- A simulation-based curriculum to introduce key teamwork principles to entering medical students.BMC Med Educ. 2016; 16: 295
- Health systems executive leadership.(Available at:)http://www.nursing.pitt.edu/degree-programs/doctor-nursing-practice-dnp/health-systems-executive-leadershipDate: 2018Date accessed: August 3, 2018
- MSN-MBA dual degree.(Available at:)http://www.carlow.edu/MSN-MBA_Dual_Degree.aspxDate: 2018Date accessed: August 3, 2018
Ashley Iannazzo, DNP, RN, CNL, is programmatic nurse specialist, Nursing Administration, at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She can be reached at [email protected] Holly Lorenz, MSN, RN, is chief nurse executive, UPMC Corporate Nursing, and co-chair, ICU Service Center, UPMC, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Maribeth McLaughlin, MPM, BSN, RN, is vice president, Operations, and vice president, Women’s Health Services, at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
2019 by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.