Conflict is a lot like water—it spills over; it flows downhill; and, if left unchecked, it erodes whatever it touches. And sometimes it's like red wine—it stains.”—Jason Fried
- Lewis P
- Lewis M
From Boardroom to Whiteboard: A New Generation of Leadership.
Tate Publishing & Enterprises, Mustang, OK2011
Giraffes are majestic creatures who have unique spot patterns and really long necks. These qualities give the giraffe the ability to use these gifts to gain a different perspective. How does a giraffe connect to how we handle conflict or uncomfortable situations effectively? Conflict is an unavoidable issue within complex health care systems and among health care teams. “The pressure to improve and track quality, treat more patients, reduce costs, and maintain satisfaction scores creates a push–pull workplace that breeds conflict.”
2According to Gerardi,
3this pressure trickles down within a health care system from administration to the bedside nursing staff, causing stress and frustration, and leading to conflict.
- Gerardi D
Conflict engagement: a new model for nurses.
Am J Nurs. 2015; 115: 56-61
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nurse Leader
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- From Boardroom to Whiteboard: A New Generation of Leadership.Tate Publishing & Enterprises, Mustang, OK2011
- Mutual support.https://www.ahrq.gov/sites/default/files/wysiwyg/professionals/education/curriculum-tools/teamstepps/instructor/fundamentals/module6/igmutualsupp.pdf(Accessed July 26, 2017.)Date: 2014
- Conflict engagement: a new model for nurses.Am J Nurs. 2015; 115: 56-61
- Role of emotional intelligence in conflict management strategies of nurses.Asian Nurs Res (Korean Soc Nurs Sci). 2016; 10: 228-233
- Impact of a TeamSTEPPS trauma nurse academy at a level 1 trauma center [e-pub ahead of print]. J Emerg Nurs..Accessed July 28, 2017.)
- An Introduction to Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Consideration Rather Than Domination.Accessed July 26, 2017.)
- The Essentials of Compassionate Communication.Accessed July 29, 2017.)
- Humanizing Health Care: Creating Cultures of Compassion With Nonviolent Communication.PuddleDancer Press, Encinitas, CA2010
- Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life: Life-Changing Tools for Healthy Relationships.PuddleDancer Press, Encinitas, CA2015
- Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When the Stakes Are High.2nd ed. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY2012
The authors thank Dr. Patricia Yoder-Wise for her inspiration and guidance as we completed this manuscript.
Note: There are no conflicts of interest, or financial or personal relationships that could inappropriately influence bias in this work. This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
© 2017 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.