Nationally recognized as breeding destruction and hurting lives, bullying in the workplace should be treated as important as a highly infectious disease. National Patient Safety Goal initiatives to improve quality and safety are all negatively impacted where bullying exists. Costly turnover rates, can result when bullying occurs. Deliberate rejection and shunning alienates individuals and sets the stage for an unfair work environment. Practicing inclusion not exclusion through transformational leadership can foster a healthy work environment. Nurse leaders are in a key position to model key strategies for eradicating bulling.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nurse Leader
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Einarsen S Hoel H Zapf D Cooper CL Evidence-based practices for preventing and addressing bullying. Bullying and Harassment in the Workplace: Developments in Theory, Research, and Practice. Second Edition. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL2010Accessed February 25, 2015.)
- Making things right: nurses' experiences with workplace bullying—a grounded theory. Nurs Res Pract.
- Bullying and Aggressive Behavior among Health Care Providers: Literature Review.Accessed February 25, 2015.)
Salvina M, Signorelli M, Costanzo C, Cinconze M, Concerto C. What kind of diagnosis in a case of mobbing: post-traumatic stress disorder or adjustment disorder? BMJ Case Rep. 2013;Jun 11;2013.
- Concept analysis: nurse-to-nurse lateral violence.Nurs Forum. 2010; 45: 166-173
- Incivility and Bullying in the Workplace and Nurses' Shame Responses.JOGNN. 2008; 37: 234-242
- Bullying of staff registered nurses in the workplace: a preliminary study for developing personal and organizational strategies for the transformation of hostile to healthy workplace environments.J Prof Nurs. 2009; 25: 299-306
- Results of the 2010 WBI U.S. Workplace Bullying Survey.Accessed .)
- The effectiveness of the Olweus bullying prevention program in public middle schools: a controlled trial.J Adolesc Health. 2007; 40: 266-274
- Bullying and Students With Disabilities.Accessed February 25, 2015.)
- Effectiveness of school-based programs to reduce bullying: a systematic and meta-analytic review of bullying.J Exp Criminol. 2011; 7: 27-56
- Lean and mean: workplace culture and the prevention of workplace bullying. WCOB Faculty Publications. 2012;Paper 26.Accessed .)
- Healthy Workplace, 20-D. N.Y. LAB. LAW § 700 S. 4965 (2013).Accessed February 25, 2015.)
- Combating disruptive behaviors: Strategies to promote a healthy work environment. OJIN.Online J Issues Nurs. 2010; 15: 3
© 2015 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.